Home Moving Checklist
When moving, having a home moving checklist will help to simplify your life.
Below I will outline each area needed to make your move smooth.
Prep for the Move
1. Coordinate changing utilities
2. Do a change of address with the postal service
3. Request time off from work
4. Consider getting a
or renting a storage building
5. Shop prices for a
moving company or moving truck
or obtain free/
7. Gather other
1. Decide on a
7 day, 2 week or one month packing plan
and stick with it.
2. Have a holding area for packed boxes. (garage or unused room)
3. Label boxes - consider using brightly colored masking tape to label important boxes to be packed LAST and unpacked FIRST. (like kitchen and bathroom items)
4. Stick to your plan. 2 boxes a day, 10 boxes a day whatever
5. Each family member should pack an overnight bag with necessary items to last 2-3 days.
6. Pack a "First night" box: include candles, a disposable camera and maybe some champagne to celebrate your fist night in the new house. Put this box in your car trunk.
***Consider purging as you pack. Go through your house and donate or sell unwanted/unused items
Day of the Move
1. Minimum of two people to help. Assuming you hire movers. Please don't be tempted to move yourself, it is well worth the investment to hire professionals. And it is not as expensive as you think
2. One person to help tell movers where to move items
3. Second person to stay behind at old house and begin cleaning as movers finish.
After the Move
1. Set up beds
2. Unpack essentials first: bathrooms, kitchen, clothing
3. Change Drivers License
4. Update checking account
5. Update address with employers, schools, retirement/investments
6. Sell boxes or donate them on craigslist/freecycle. DO NOT throw them away.
Have A Great Story About This Topic?
Do you have a great story about this? Share it!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Back from Home Moving Checklist to sell-buy-owner.com mainpage